Monday 21 December 2009

How Did You Use New Media Technologies In The Construction And Research, Planning And Evaluation Stages?

Throughout this project I have used a vast amount of new media technologies, here I intend to discuss some of the technologies I used and what I used them for, I will also be comparing them to older media technologies such as analogue technologies for example, VHS.


Throughout this project there has been one major technology I have constantly used, blogger, this site has allowed me to upload every single piece of work I have created very easily, it also meant that I could upload images and video I have created, and with the comment box tool it made it very easy for my colleages to leave comments on my work, from which I could improve it, however there are several bad points that I have found with blogger, firstly, inserting pictures and video into a post does obscure the text, meaning the layout on the post was very different to that of the editing box, also lately blogger has added an updated editor, which in many areas is a large improvement, however this does meen you have to constantly revert to the old editor in order to upload video, which made it very time consuming.


Another new media that has vastly improved my work is upload sites, such as scribd, youtube and photobucket and I have used these for many different reasons, firstly I used scribd to upload word documents onto blogger without them turning into an actual post, making the layout much better and taking up much less space.
I have also used Youtube a very large amount generally to view other media texts such as movie teaser trailers or short films, it also means that if I wanted to I could upload my work onto it, possibly getting a wider audience feedback.


One of the most important pieces of software that I have used throughout my project is Adobe Phoptoshop, this photo editing software has allowed me to create teaser posters, final poster, a magazine cover, a production logo and many more. This piece of software is widely used and is classed as a proffesional piece of software, below are some of the images that I have created using it.


This year I have been very lucky to use a proffesional piece of editing software, Final Cut Express 4 which is used largely in the media industry, that has been a very big step up from the previous software we used in the AS course, I movie 6, there are many different features between the two such as editing tools and sound tools, however Final cut also contains it's own programme used for editing text called, Live Type which has been extremely useful in creating high quality dynamic pieces of text, which can be seen in the final cut I created. 
This piece of software is a very new piece of media and allows digital footage to be easily edited however some older media such as VHS would not run on the programme and therefore shooting with modern camcorders is crucial to the uploading stage of the footage.


In terms of audio I have been using garageband, this is not an advanced piece of software however it is very easy to create good quality pieces of music and has a very large libary of sounds that can be used.


To record my footage I used a brand new digital camcorder, which unlike the previous camcroders I have used records onto a hard drive instead of a DV tape, at first this seemed a much better option, however some of the computers, Macs, that I had been using do not accept the format which my camcorder recorded in and so it limited me to the type of computer I could use, below are some of the key specifications of my camcorder,

Price: £329.99
Record Format: 120GB hard drive
HD Ready: Yes
Recording Time Limit: 150 hours



In conjunction with audience feedback, I have uploaded all the footage onto a social networking site called Facebook, this meant that not only my class colleagues but many other people of different ages could give me good constructive feedback on my work.

No comments:

Post a Comment