Tuesday 6 October 2009

Costumes, Props And Set Dressing

To create my film trailer i will need a large amount of costumes, props and set dressing, below lists the things i will need, why i need them, how i might get them and their cost.



Props



Severed Arm
I have already purchased this prop for the price of £6.99 from an ebay seller. It is crucial in my trailer for parts of the violence and also to denote horror and zombies, i.e. one of them may be eating the arm, it will also be more convincing as it does already look very realistic and with further fake blood added to it i think it will create a much better effect than trying to avoid showing any violence at all.





























Sword 
Another prop which i will need for my trailer is a sword which will be found by one of the main characters in a comical fashion, so far i have not decided on which sword to buy but i have found a few possible ones to purchase, the first is £13.99 from getmetradeprices.com, the second is better quality, however it is much more expensive at £49 from www.medieval-arms.co.uk, the third weapon i have in mind is a two handed scotsman sword from the hit film braveheart, this would be very useful as both an intertextual reference and a good quality sword, however it is the most expensive at £55 









Costumes and Set Dressing


Zombies
To make my zombies look realistic i will need to have convincing costumes that are not all the same, i myself have a wide range of clothes at home that i do not wear which i will be able to cut up and shred to create zombie like clothing, i also have some candidates who said they will donate some clothing to me. i will also make them look more realistic by smearing them in blood which will of course signify that they have been attacking and or eating people.


Neil and Gary

These two characters are my main protagonists and therefore their costumes are very important if i am to create a preferred reading and to make it look realistic, Gary will be wearing stereotypical hiking gear such as walking boots, a thick coat, waterproof bottoms etc, all of these i have very easy access to, for Neil i will be going for a more opposite laid back style of clothing such as trainers, jeans, a nylon coat etc, again i have easy access to these items and will create a good reading into the style of character that Neil is.


Sarah
Sarah is the main female protagonist in my trailer and is the good looking stereotype that is seen in many modern action films, for her costume i will be needing something quite revealing, such as tight trouser or a vest top etc which hopefully my female actress will have easy access to, i will need to make her clothes more and more scruffy as the trailer moves on to signify time moving on and also that she has been involved in a allot of violence.


Civilians
for my teaser i will also need some civilians for general use and also for when the main characters seek refuge in the abandoned radio station and others join them, clothes wise they will be wearing general average everyday clothes, however i will make them slightly mucky and torn to signify that they have come into contact with zombies, i should have easy access to average clothes as i have many spare and hopefully my actors and actresses should have enough clothes of there own.


After slightly changing my idea the props and set dressing that I originally planned to use have changed, below is what I shall be using.



Props


Severed Arm
have already purchased this prop for the price of £6.99 from an ebay seller. It is crucial in my trailer for parts of the violence and also to denote horror and zombies, i.e. one of them may be eating the arm, it will also be more convincing as it does already look very realistic and with further fake blood added to it i think it will create a much better effect than trying to avoid showing any violence at all.





























Weapons
To create a preferred reading of my zombie film I shall be using a range of materials that would stereotypically be used to kill zombies, some examples would be cricket bats, baseball bats, spades, air rifle etc these are the sort of everyday objects that are seen very often in zombie films.



Fake Blood
To create my fake blood I have followed a tutorial which I found on You-Tube, I have tested making the blood and it looks very realistic as well as being easy and cheap to create, due to the nature of my film the fake blood will be of crucial importance to my film.


Tent
Another prop which I will be using is a tent this will be used for when the characters set up camp on the moor side, it will feature in a large amount of shots and so it will be very important to use. It is also important that I use a two man tent as part of the comedy comes from the fact that the tent is too small for the four characters.


Car
For a few of the early scenes I will be using a car which is a Skoda Fabia, this is the car that one of my characters will be driving and will also make some of the footage look more professional.






Costumes and Set Dressing



Zombies
To make my zombies look realistic I will need to have convincing costumes that are not all the same, I myself have a wide range of clothes at home that I do not wear which I will be able to cut up and shred to create zombie like clothing, I also have some candidates who said they will donate some clothing to me. I will also make them look more realistic by smearing them in blood which will of course signify that they have been attacking and or eating people.


Main Male Characters
For my main male characters I will generally be using average young male clothes such as jeans, trainers and a coat, this may change though according to the spare clothes I have which I can tear and spill fake blood onto.


Main Female Characters 
Similar to the main male characters I intend to use average clothes for the female characters again such things as jeans, trainers, coats etc.







No comments:

Post a Comment