Tuesday 6 October 2009

Target Audience And BBFC Clasification

Age Rating
Before looking into my target audience i must first consider what age rating my film would receive from the BBFC, firstly I will look into similar films to mine to give me an idea of what age ratings they receive.

Shaun of the Dead
Age Rating: 15
One of the films I have been looking closely at for inspiration and ideas is Shaun of the Dead, so far I believe this film is closest to what mine is like, as you can see this received a 15, it includes strong language and strong bloody violence which is what I intend to include in mine, however the language in mine could be stronger and there will be a very large amount of blood and gore as well as sex references






Dead Snow
Age Rating: 18
Another film I have looked closely at is Dead Snow, this is a very similar idea to mine, along with a similar amount of violence and language that I intend to include in mine, as this has been given an 18, I may decided to give my film an 18 certificate also








After looking into the guidelines of age ratings for films using pages 18 - 19 of this PDF file I have decided to give my film an age rating of 18, this is due to the amount of strong language and violence that I intend to include in my film.

Target Audience
Now that I have created an intended age rating for my film I can now consider who my target audience will be, to do this I will consider age, gender, nationality and ethnicity, this will give me a much more clear view on exactly who my target audience will be

Age
Due to the age rating of my film being 18, it will limit my target age group to people of 18 upwards, to decide upon the target age for my film I did some research into the amount of people who rated and rated highly, Shaun of the Dead and Dead Snow to give me an idea of who enjoyed the film,

Shaun of the Dead Ratings




















As you can see from this graph the majority of the votes came from people aged 18 - 29 with very few above and barely anyone below 18 rating the film, I also noticed that people aged 18 - 29 gave it a very high rating which may lead to be a good age range for me to aim my film at.

Dead Snow Ratings





















Above are the ratings for Dead Snow, as you can see the ratings are very similar to that of Shaun of the Dead with most ratings coming from people aged 18 - 29

From researching into a target age I have decided to aim my film at people between the ages of 18 - 29 due to two very similar films to mine receiving most ratings from people of that age range.

Gender
Aswell as deciding on a target age range I must also consider the gender that I will target my film at, I will again look into Shaun of the Dead and Dead Snow for some guidance.

Shaun of the Dead Ratings 



















From looking at this chart it is clear that a much larger number of males (92,000) had rated the film than females (13,500), this therefore gives me a rouch idea that this film was mostly targetted at a male audience.

 Dead Snow Ratings




















A very similar case can be seen when looking at the ratings for Dead Snow, where again a much larger amount of males gave the film a rating as apose to females.

Nationality
Due to the language of my film, English, it will most likely be aimed at an audience who speaks the English language, however almost every film releases versions with subtitles or voice overs to appeal to a worldwide audience

Ethnicity
Due to the genre of my film horror/comedy it will ideally be targetted at all ethnicities, in some cases, films target only some ethnicities such as This is England, minaly targetted White English people.

Below is the overall target market for my film
Age: 18 - 29
Gender: Males
Nationality: English
Ethnicity: All

No comments:

Post a Comment